Recently my Facebook feed has included many baby announcements as September and October tend to be popular birth months. Have you seen this too?
It got me wondering how people chose their babies names and whether the first baby would influence the choice of the second (and third).
Think the Kardashians: Kim, Kourtney and Khloe or Jamie Oliver’s kids Poppy Honey, Daisy Boo and Blossom Rainbow where their first names are themed around flowers.
I have friends who have taken a little while longer to pick a name, which is fine as Australians are allowed 60 days to register the birth. I’ve also heard anecdotes of some parents creating page long lists of names and waiting until the birth to select one that “fits” baby.
So why does picking a baby name cause some angst amongst new parents? Is it because we worry that the name may not suit the baby or that the name that we think is perfect may be primed for bullies?
To that; I quote Shakespeare and say,
‘What’s in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;”
Romeo and Juliet Act II Scene II
Let’s embrace the fun of picking baby names. Here’s 15 playful ways you can pick a baby name.
1. You love the way the name sounds
image source: coramckenzie.tmblr.com
2. You love the meaning behind the name
image source: allthemountains.blogspot.com
3. You are inspired by a person in your life
image source: laughinatcha
4. You are following the tradition of naming after your parents or grandparents
image source: crushculdesac.tumblr.com
5. You are inspired by your hero or muse
Audrey Hepburn: film, fashion icon and humanitarian
6. You had a crush on this person when you were younger
image source: ffffound.com
7. You think the name is lucky
image source: fulden arman
8. You want a beautiful name as well as cute nicknames
Ella, Bella, Gabby are nickname possibilities
image source: thebloggersdaughter.blogspot.be
9. You make up a name so that your child’s name will be fairly unique
as in Poppy Honey (Jamie Oliver’s daughter)
image source: unknown
10. You are inspired by a movie
as in Scarlett O’Hara in Gone with the Wind
image source: 31.media.tumblr.com
11. You are inspired by a book
as in Grace in the “Little House” series by Laura Ingalls Wilder
image source: healther l photography
12. You are inspired by a celebrity
beyond others? Indeed.
13. You want a unisex name because you want the gender to be a surprise
image source: sheenajibson
14. You want a trendy name
image source: thewiegands.com
15. You want a classic and timeless name
image source: Kasiak_k
For my husband and I we loved the process of deciding on a name and it came naturally and quickly for us. I wonder if that was why the birth was quick as well.
Our baby name sounded lovely, it was a classic name that sounded cute as a nickname as well. It had been a long time favourite since I was young. My husband wanted another name but I won out because we had agreed I could name if baby was a boy and my husband could name if baby had been a girl. But we both won out in the end because we couldn’t have been any luckier with our little boy. Of course all parents think that way 🙂
How did you pick your baby’s name?